Friday 10 August 2012

What is Seam Allowance?

Seam allowance also called inlays, is the space between the edge of the fabric to the stitching line when you go to sew two or more pieces of fabric together. The normal amount of seam allowance you leave is generally 5/8" for home sewers or 1/4" for industrial sewers. See an example of the right seam allowance on a measuring tape in the image below.

The 5/8" is highlighted within the red circle

The reason seam allowance is essentail when sewing is because if you do not factor in seam allowance your garment or craft will be too small.

For example: I am making a pencil skirt and say I am making it in a UK size 10. If I cut out my material without seam allowance and sew it up that will mean my skirt will be too small and it will reduce the original UK size 10.

Most patterns you buy should have seam allowance included on the pattern but please read the info first to make sure before you cut it out and cut out your fabric. A mistake you dont want to make trust me... as it may be fun cutting out your pattern the first time and then your fabric but when you have to do it again straight after because you made that mistake it gets repetitive!

By adding 5/8" to the pattern that means I can sew that part in and then I will have my perfect size ten with the seam allowance as excess fabric that you can then trim down half way if you want to reduce the bulk. Happy Sewing <3

No comments:

Post a Comment